Gravesend Borough Market
Chartered in 1268, Gravesend Borough Market began as an open market with a few permanent buildings. The current market hall, designed by local architect E.J.Bennett, was completed in 1897, but had begun to fall into disuse due to distance from the main High Street and aging interior. Clays worked closely with Gravesham Borough Council to develop an aspirational master plan for the market and to make a successful £1.8m bid to the coastal communities fund.
December 2016 saw the reopening of the market, the first phase in the revitalisation project to renovate both the main market building and surrounding area. The revamped interior now hosts 21 permanent stalls, with room for up to 30 temporary stalls. The conservation effort also included a new roof and roof lights to restore natural lighting and ventilation to the building as well as modern public facilities and new seating areas. The scheme includes a cafe and food court for 6 pop-up food stalls, which will open once the council have secured tenants.
The market enjoys a renewed status as a shopping destination within the town centre, and provides new opportunities for jobs and start-up businesses. It will also host a variety of festivals and events throughout the year.
For opening times, information on events and stalls currently at the market, you can check out their Facebook page.
The new roof, restoring the natural light which had previously been removed.
Before refurbishment - an aisle in the old market.
A glimpse of the new food court.